You’ve written an awesome post but it’s not getting many views. Now what? As blogging has grown in popularity over the past few years, its easy to believe that the saturated market means fewer blog views. Not so! Knowing how to effectively promote your blog posts without appearing spammy will help to drive traffic to your blog and increase subscribers. So, how can you increase your blog traffic? I have 6 foolproof ways that will gradually begin to increase your views.
Many people seriously underestimate the power of Pinterest. Don’t believe me? Melyssa grew her subscribers by almost 40,000 in 12 months, while Allison grew her traffic by 800% in 4 months. Here are a few strategies I recommend to grow your blog traffic via Pinterest.
- Think of Pinterest as a search engine rather than a social media platform.
- Sign up for a business account – you can do so here (you can easily switch to a business account if you already have a standard Pinterest account).
- Enable rich pins – these pins include extra information about the pin, kinda like a snippet of information. There are 6 types of rich pins, including film, app, recipe, article, product and place. The majority of bloggers would generally choose article when signing up for rich pins. Once you’ve signed up for rich pins, your pins will automatically display extra information when pinned. Rich pins stand out more than a regular pin, making them more visible and more likely to be re-pinned. Thus, reaching more people.
- Pin like a boss – My Pinterest account connected to this blog has almost 30,000 subscribers but its taken a bit of effort to get there. I find my subscriber count grows by regular pinning. I normally pin for around 10 minutes each day. Usually, 80% are other people’s pins and 20% are my own.
- Schedule – if you don’t have time to pin each day, I recommend using Boardbooster which is a great tool to help you schedule pins, test your pins for broken links and help you devise a strategy by finding the best time to pin. You can use a free trial if you want to test out the tool.
- Join group boards – Group boards are an extra way of getting your pins viewed. Try to search for groups in your genre, so if you have a food blog, a foodies blogging group will be highly beneficial for increasing your views.
Sign up to Bloglovin
Bloglovin is an easy way to follow and read your favourite blogs. A lot of my traffic comes from this platform and I’d definitely recommend that every new blogger signs up as Google Friend Connect is now pretty much defunct and many people don’t want to use their email to follow their favourite blogs. Bloglovin allows readers to see your all your blog posts and you can use your bloglovin dashboard to see how many subscribers you have and how many views you’re receiving. Make sure you put a Bloglovin badge on your blog so people can easily click to follow your posts.
Participate in Facebook groups
Facebook groups are a brilliant way to promote your blog and posts. I personally use UKBloggers and Online Business BFFs but there are plenty of other groups that are great for sharing your posts. Try searching for groups in your country or region as well as looking for blogging specific groups.
Leaving blog comments on other blogs is an effective method of promotion. However, you want to do this in a way that doesn’t appear spammy. Writing ‘please follow me’ is highly likely to put people off, so I suggest leaving comments on blogs that you actually read and enjoy. Writing a comment about the blog post with a small link to your blog underneath is perfectly good blogging etiquette and it’s more effective.
Guest posting is one of the best methods for increasing your traffic and getting the word out about your amazing blog. By creating a high-quality blog post for another website in your niche, you can help to establish yourself as an authority figure, become exposed to a new audience and grow your views and subscribers by providing a link back to your site. If you want to know how to write a pitch to guest post on another blog, check out my free pitch download on my other blog Diary of a Freelancer.
SEO or search engine optimisation is an important part of blogging but it doesn’t need to be overwhelming. By using correct SEO procedures, you’ll help to increase your page rank in google and boost your page views. If you use WordPress, try the Yoast plugin as it literally takes care of everything for you – you just have to fill in your key word/s for the blog post you’re writing and it will let you know if your SEO is good or not. If you don’t use WordPress or don’t want to install the plugin, consider these following tips;
- Write good quality blog posts that are rich in information and length. Generally, the longer the posts, the better but don’t write 1000 word posts just for the sake of it. Consider your topic and how much relevant information you can include for it to be enticing for the reader.
- Use appropriate titles – titles should be relevant to your content and should grab the readers attention without being clickbait. For example, ‘What I purchased at Weekend’ would be better titled ‘Anastacia Contour Cream Kit’ if that’s what the post is about. However, to make it more eye-catching for readers, you could use alternative titles like ‘5 Reasons to Buy the Anastacia Contour Cream Kit’ or ‘How to Use the Anastacia Contour Cream Kit on Fair Skin’.
- Put an introduction in your blog post – make sure you use the key word/s in this introduction, so if you’re using ‘Anastacia Contour Cream Kit’ as your keywords, make sure you mention them in the first paragraph, preferably at the beginning of your blog post.
- Give your photos a title. If you’re using WordPress, remember to add alt text in the image box. So, for this post, my image title is ‘Ways to Increase your Blog Traffic’ and my alt text is ‘6 foolproof ways to increase your blog traffic’.
If you want to get free blogging tips to your inbox, make sure you subscribe to my exclusive email.